User Researcher – 9 months part-time contract
EIRA Project – User Experience contract opportunity
In partnership with the University of Essex we have a current opportunity to contract a User Experience specialist. Profusion is an EIRA (enabling innovation: research to application) company for the University and during the contract you will also work closely with key academic staff at the University.
The role will be based at Profusion’s head office near Old Street station, London, EC2A 4NW, with occasional travel to the Colchester Campus of the University of Essex. Part-time 3 days per week (with some flexibility if required). 100 days in total at £400 per day gross.
EIRA supports innovation and productivity in the East of England by providing businesses with access to academic expertise, across seven different universities and colleges in the eastern region. This includes consultancy and collaborative research, and funding. Further information is available at http://www.eira.ac.uk
EIRA is funded by a Research England grant and this opportunity carries no expectation of extension beyond the identified time period.
The University of Essex in partnership with Profusion offers an exciting opportunity to drive the development of a new AI product for fundraisers and retailers. In its beta phase, we are looking for a user researcher to work with our testing partners and our in-house developer and data team to create a user-friendly insight led product for commercial sale. The product to be user tested is a data insight tool which enables charities to retain, engage and increase income from their donors. The tool segments donors to enable charities to understand their behaviour and deliver targeted marketing in a timely manner at an individual level to increase income.
This is a partnership project with the University of Essex and with key academic staff including Tony Russell-Rose, Visiting Professor of Cognitive Computing and AI.
The duties of the post will include:
• All aspects of research (planning, moderation, analysis, reporting) for both generative (participatory design) and evaluative (usability testing) research.
• Planning, designing and conducting the usability testing process from developing user recruitment through to test moderation, analysis and reporting.
• Conducting research to gather insights for new product and concept developments (including user requirements gathering and early stage concept and prototype testing and other approaches to ensuring the user need is fully understood).
• Modelling insights gained from user research into formats to enhance organisational understanding of our users – such as personas and user journey maps.
• Working closely with designers and developers to turn user data into actionable product or service requirements that feed into prototype development, and influence product direction.
• Applying knowledge in human factors and the user-centred design process to digital products in an iterative development environment. Wireframing future products to support the sprint development process.
• Presenting findings and related design/business recommendations and customer insights to senior decision makers.
• Building strong relationships with testing partners to ensure they are advocates for the product at launch.
The contractor must have:
• BSc in Computer Science, Social Science or a related discipline
• Good experience and applied knowledge of all stages of user experience product testing
• Proven track record in planning the user testing of products for multiple audiences
• Experience of conducting user interviews
• Experience of project management to successful conclusion and working within a team including senior stakeholders
• Experience of communicating user needs to senior stakeholders
• A keen interest in Artificial Intelligence and its commercial value
• Experience analysing both quantitative and qualitative data to produce UX artefacts
• The ability to wire frame and shape product development
• Be available to start soon.
As an EIRA contractor on this project, the opportunity will offer the following benefits:
• An interesting and challenging project, with exposure to a variety of stakeholders
• World-leading Academic and Company project supervision, with project support by a dedicated Knowledge Exchange Manager
• The opportunity to be involved with the current University of the Year
• A modern workplace with Profusion in the heart of London’s Tech City with free tea, coffee, fruit, filtered water and social events.
The University of Essex is proud to be:
A leading academic institution with an international reputation
for the quality of its research and teaching and
an international community that is committed to equality and diversity.
Profusion is a team of specialists in data engineering, BI, data science and multi-channel marketing who are wired to solve problems. We combine 1:1 communications, AI and human intelligence to connect people with your brand. As the original partner for the Adobe Campaign platform, we have 15+ years’ experience in data management, automation and customisation of Adobe and other platforms. Trusted by global banks and retailers to create highly personalised, targeted and intelligent communications, we have remained at the cutting edge of digital marketing through the evolution of the connected world.
Innovation is in our DNA and our new ‘Ventures’ arm is accelerating this, creating products and investing in entrepreneurship in data and AI. Purpose is at our heart. Our philanthropic arm ‘Profusion Cares’ works to ensure data has purpose and impact in society, both in our local community and through contributing to broader societal challenges in the homelessness and food poverty space. www.profusion.com
THE COMPUTER SCIENCE, ELECTRONICS and ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
The Computer Science Electronics and Engineering department is creative, committed and experimental. From making businesses run smoothly to gaming and simulating behaviour, many everyday processes have a basis in computing, while advances in electronics have made the internet, innovative telecommunications and inexpensive computing possible.
At Essex we teach and research at undergraduate, masters and postgraduate research levels, in all these areas and more. Our research is changing people’s lives and underpins tomorrow’s must-have technologies. Research and development has to stay one step ahead of the industry, so our curriculum is constantly evolving. Our work is driven by creativity and imagination as well as technical excellence – we’re not your typical geeks!
HOW TO APPLY
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, a covering letter detailing why you’d like to undertake this contract and your relevant skills and experience and details of a reference we can contact if we decide to offer you this opportunity. We will interview prior to offering the contract. Please also indicate how soon you could commence this contract. Basic Disclosure Check and References required.
Any questions can be sent to Emma Wakeling at the above email address or Henrik Nordmark, email@example.com