Head of Data Science
Location: Telephone House, 69-77 Paul Street, London EC2A 4NW
Salary: £75,000 – £85,000 per annum, plus benefits and discretionary bonus.
We are currently looking for an outstanding Head of Data science, with a strong mix of technical, strategic and leadership skills. The post will be part of the senior leadership within the company and will also manage the data science team and be responsible for the success of the team and its alignment to the business goals and vision of Profusion.
The Head of Data Science will be responsible for innovation, advising on business capability, contributing to generating new ideas for services and products, supporting in the sales process and client pitches. All aimed at ensuring new capabilities for business by envisioning and executing strategies that will enhance the data consulting repertoire of Profusion and help its clients succeed.
The postholder will need to be highly collaborative and proactively work with teams across the business in order to translate business challenges into mathematical ones that can be solved using data and a combination of techniques from statistics, machine learning, operational research, game theory and other analytical fields and then translate those solutions back into business language.
You will have good potential for personal and career development, learn from and share knowledge with a range of talented, highly skilled and internationally diverse team of colleagues. All of this while embarking on an exciting journey with a pioneering, fast-growing company situated at the heart of London’s Tech City.
- Drive the company strategy as part of its Senior Leadership Team.
- Create industry-leading performance through the leveraging of new and creative data approaches and bringing the latest in statistics and machine learning to the business.
- Drive education and engagement of data science throughout the business by communicating the vision and use cases of advanced analytics.
- Maintain a deep understanding the business’s marketplace dynamics and leading trends, to advise on cutting edge strategies to drive the business forwards.
- Manage and build the business’s data science talent needs through role definition, recruitment, and development of a team that are aligned to the goals of the business.
- Provide day-to-day line management for direct reports.
- Manage upwards by keeping the SLT informed about the team and its activities.
- Coordinate with client directors regarding resource management and what to prioritise.
- Set team goals based on needs of the business, industry trends and team interests.
- Mentor the team and encourage their provisional growth and meet their development needs.
- Look after team morale, foster team bonding and their integration into the wider business.
- Provide support to the commercial and new business team in the sales process.
- Lead of data science aspects of client and pitch meetings.
- Provide innovative and creative ideas in the scoping of new projects and products.
- Help identify new problems that could be solved for new and existing clients.
- Provide challenge, advice and guidance to ensure that client proposals are business relevant, imaginative as well as technically feasible and within budget.
- Oversee that quality work is being delivered and provide challenge and support as required (QA).
- Consult on innovative, difficult and novel projects, advising on and implementing the latest in statistics and machine learning to improve our products and services.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and developments in the sector, to ensure the company is at the forefront of technical developments.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Knowledge & Experience
- A master’s degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or any other related quantitative field. A working experience of the same is also acceptable for the position.
- 7 years of working experience in a data science position, preferably working as a Senior Data Scientist or Head of data science.
- Solid experience in scoping and managing projects.
- Proven experience in managing, coaching and developing a high performing team.
- Experience in a commercial organisation would be highly desirable.
- Highly proficient and strong skills in programming and scripting languages and have rapid prototyping skills (R, Python, SQL).
- Strong mathematical skills (statistics and machine learning mainly).
- Good communication skills with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong people and influencing skills and the ability to ensure people work collaboratively across the company.
- Flexible, with a can-do attitude, motivated to work and learn.
- Unphased when the pressure is on and adaptable when priorities change.
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to communicate to stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally.
If you match the criteria above, we would love to hear from you.
It’s so important to do a job you love, with colleagues whose skills you respect and whose company you really enjoy. You also need to feel valued, recognised and rewarded. At Profusion we encourage and support our people to develop themselves, their ideas and their careers. Everyone here has a voice, and everyone contributes. We’ve worked hard to build a team of brilliant people who share a passion for the transformative power of data. We provide an attractive pay and benefits package, including:
- Salary range £75,000 – £85,000 pa plus discretionary annual bonus
- 25 days’ paid annual holiday plus eight public holidays
- Pension contributions
- Personalised professional development
- Health and wellbeing support
- Private health insurance with gym and retail discounts
- A modern office environment
- Free tea, coffee, fruit and filtered water
- Flexible working
- Interest-free season ticket travel loans
- Friday team drinks and a friendly ‘family feel’ culture
- A great Tech City office location, just a few minutes’ walk from Old Street station and Whitecross Street food market
How to apply
If you are passionate about a career in data science and you meet the requirements above, please email your CV with a cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) outlining why you would be ideal for the role, to email@example.com. Please note that because of the high number of applications we typically receive, it is not possible to answer everyone in person. If you don’t hear from us within two weeks of the closing date that will mean that you have not progressed to the next stage of the recruitment process on this occasion and we wish you every success for the future.
Closing date for applications is 6th October 2019.
Note: Basic Disclosure Check and References required, as part of our recruitment process.