Head of Education and Philanthropy
Location: Telephone House, 69-77 Paul Street, London EC2A 4NW
Closing Date: 15/03/2020
£55,000 – £60,000 plus discretionary bonus and enhanced benefits (Only full applications with a CV and accompanying cover letter will be considered).
Role overview (click here to find out more about Profusion and staff benefits):
Profusion is a leading provider of data and marketing services, ranging from consultancy advice, through to the creation and execution of innovation projects and marketing campaigns. We specialise in helping retailers, FMCGs, SMEs and financial services business to grow using the power of data science. Our partnerships with leading academic organisations enable us to bring the best academic thinking into the solutions we offer our clients.
We are looking to recruit a Head of Education and Philanthropy, this will be to lead on the development of our brand-new Data Academy and philanthropic foundation, which we launched last year, Profusion Cares.
Our ideal candidate will have a strong social purpose and passion for providing opportunities to young people and improving inclusion. They will have an academic background, understanding curriculum planning and how to drive learning outcomes through high quality teaching and learning. They will have project and stakeholder management experience, being adept at bringing different groups of people together to work towards the same goal. They will preferably have some understanding of the charity sector and technical disciplines (e.g. data science, engineering or programming).
Our Data Academy is an exciting new venture that that aims to close the skills gap in the digital world, with a focus on working with socially disadvantaged and underrepresented groups of young people in society, with a focus on ethnic minorities in tech, in particular women, and those whose roles are changing due to automation. We partner with leading universities to deliver accredited programmes in data science and engineering, these lead to paid industry placements and permanent roles in our clients and partners.
Profusion Cares founding principles are to use data for social impact; to engage employees in the company’s philanthropic efforts and to develop their skills; to build our brand reputation and partnerships; and to similarly engage clients to address societal issues. It channels the skills and spirit of our talented people into making social impact and finds ways to share our products and facilities with communities that can benefit from our support.
You will have good potential for personal and career development, learn from and share knowledge with a range of talented, highly skilled and internationally diverse team of colleagues. All of this while embarking on an exciting journey with a pioneering, fast-growing company situated at the heart of London’s Tech City, in a brand new role you can shape to be your own.
You will be leading on the development of our Data Academy, which has the following key propositions:
- A young person development pathway, working with schools and Universities to provide practical business experience whilst developing into data professionals, with a particular focus on using this as a route to diversify the profession and offer opportunities to under-represented groups.
- Training and up-skill programmes for in-house data teams and C-suites.
- Re-skilling programmes for business professionals to support them to move into data roles.
- Building organisations’ in-house data teams.
Working with our Head of Data Science, who is a Professor who is also a visiting lecturer in AI and Statistics, our CEO and our Commercial team, you will be at the heart of making the Academy happen. Working with our Head of Data Science to develop the curriculum for the different pathways, building and managing key stakeholder relationships, project managing the different streams of work, engaging with the students, leading relevant events, reviewing and refining the programmes for future years.
You will also be responsible for the development and continued success and development of our Profusion Cares foundation. The foundation is driven by our ‘cares champions’ across the organisation, looking to use data for good and engage with local schools and the community to increase our social impact.
- Working with the CEO, Director of Internal Operations and Head of Data Science to develop the strategy for both the Data Academy and Foundation, and develop and manage the programme plans and budgets to ensure this is delivered.
- Lead on stakeholder engagement with universities, business, schools, charities and potential funders. Build and develop the partnerships which will make our ambitions for both the Academy and the Foundation a success.
- Develop funding proposals, where applicable, to attract additional funding to support the development of both the Academy and the charity initiatives.
- Engage with education establishments and training providers to identify the pipeline of talent for the Academy.
- Work with our Commercial team to ensure uptake of the Academy offer from business to ensure the learners have access to great opportunities through which to learn.
- Work in partnership with Universities and the Head of Data Science to plan a fit for purpose curriculum, for our different levels of learners which both meets the needs of employers in the data space and sets the learners up for success with the required workplace skills.
- Work with our Data Science team to equip them to be effective mentors for our learners during their programmes.
- Work with the marketing and commercial teams to define the different offerings, and develop collateral and materials to support our offering for Academy and Cares, to attract suitable young people onto courses and engage business in the offering.
- Work with the marketing team to offer high quality events to support the Academy and Cares offers.
- Engage the profusion cares champions to ensure that we continue to embrace local schools and the community to offer mentoring, workplace visits, skilled employee volunteering, space giving for charities and fundraising.
- Project manage all streams of activity for both the Academy and Cares to time and to budget.
- Gather feedback from all key stakeholders and regularly review and refine our programmes over time.
- Work with the Head of Data Science to expand our Academic partnerships internationally.
- Recruit and manage our Trustee Board for the Foundation.
- Recruit and manage our Advisory Board for the Academy.
- Any other ad hoc responsibilities that might be reasonably required.
Personal Specification: Knowledge, Experience and Skills
We are looking for someone with a passion and drive to make change in society, with a particular interest in providing opportunities for disadvantaged young people and closing the skills gap in the digital and data space. You will need to have a proven experience in designing and implementing education programmes that make an impact and be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
Knowledge & Experience
- You will have a strong academic background and understanding of the education system gained either in secondary, FE or HE. Including designing accredited courses and working with 3rd party providers.
- Exceptional stakeholder management experience, with the ability to influence and negotiate at all levels.
- Proven operational experience in developing and implementing operational plans and scaling programmes.
- Proven project management experience, with the ability to manage multiple workstreams to time and budget is essential.
- Knowledge of employability skills, the skills gap and the current digital and data landscape is an advantage.
- Experience of developing content and collateral to engage multiple audiences is an advantage.
- Experience of designing and organising events is an advantage.
- Experience of managing operations in an education or 3rd sector setting is desirable.
- Highly organised with impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills.
- Results/action-orientated with strong planning, project and budget management skills, and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments and with external partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage senior individuals both internally and externally.
- Excellent communication and written skills, with the ability to write copy for a wide range of audiences (this will be tested).
- Versatile and resilient, comfortable with complexity, uncertainty and ambiguity. Ability to deliver at pace and to consistent quality.
- Solutions-orientated individual who can mobilise people to deliver results, with strong negotiation skills.
- Proactive, with the ability to work independently, prioritising a busy workload and managing risk appropriately
- Creative thinker with the ability to scope new ideas, challenge others and be challenged to drive innovative and collaborative solutions.
How to apply
If you are a good match for this role and interested to find out more, please email your CV with a cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) outlining why you would be ideal for the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Closing date for applications is the 15th March 2020)