Data Engineer (Graduate or 1-2 years’ experience)
Location: Central London with some opportunity for remote working.
Closing Date: 24.01.20
Only full applications with a CV and accompanying cover letter will be considered.
Salary: £25,000 – £35,000 depending on experience, plus benefits and discretionary bonus
We are currently looking for an outstanding Data Engineer that has recently graduated or has a 1 – 2 years commercial experience, to join our growing analytics and data science team. If you are successful you will have the opportunity to work with blue-chip clients on cutting-edge data science and innovative data driven marketing solutions. Many of our clients are embarking on game-changing digital and data transformation projects that will fundamentally change how they operate. You will be in a pivotal position to help our clients and Profusion undertake these cutting-edge projects that have industry-wide impact.
The ideal candidate is a recent graduate with up to 2 years’ experience, that understands building data pipelines and data wrangling, who enjoys optimising data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects for both internal and extrenal clients.
You must be keen to learn, have the ability to be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimising or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
You will have good potential for personal and career development, learn from and share knowledge with a range of talented, highly skilled and internationally diverse team of colleagues. All of this while embarking on an exciting journey with a pioneering, fast-growing company situated at the heart of London’s Tech City.
This is a team-based role, where the project work is varied and shared amongst other engineers so you will not just be focused on one part of the process, so being able to see the big picture and work collaboratively is critical. The role will have a 70% focus on client projects and 30% internal projects.
- Working with a team of analysts, data scientists and data engineers amongst other stakeholders to identify and implement best solutions for the analytical needs of a project
- Contributing to architectural designs, engaging in technical discussions and presenting solutions to product challenges
- Work with our technical partners and suppliers to ensure their technology is implemented for our internal requirements and for our client projects
- Work with our internal operations team to ensure business intelligence is duly applied across all sections of the business
- Gain experience in the building and development of the architecture and engineering process of projects including building API’s as well as other scripts to set up and automate engineering pipelines and solutions
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture,
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimising our products and services into an innovative industry leader.
Personal Specification: Knowledge, Experience and Skills
We are looking for a candidate that has recently graduated with 1+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a Graduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems or similar field, or relevant industry experience.
- Strong Python coding skills
- Solid experience using SQL
- Experience with ETL processes (Extract, Transform, Load)
- Experience ingesting data into a SQL database
- Experience writing and maintaining cron jobs
- Experience using AWS Redshift
- Experience with AWS Lambda
- Experience ingesting data from APIs
- Experience converting json data into relational data
- Knowledge of how to design a good data schema
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with Spark and Hadoop
Personal skills and competencies
- Strong problem-solving skills, willingness to take ownership and risks, and enthusiasm in the face of technical challenges
- Strong project management and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a calm and effective way
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to support client meetings
- Client focused, with the ability to interpret and understand client needs and deliver results
- The ability to understand the wider company operations, goals and objectives and where data engineering can add value
- A proactive approach and the ability to be self-managing and innovative.
How to apply
If you are passionate about a career in data engineering and you meet the requirements above, please email your CV with a cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) outlining why you would be ideal for the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Closing date for applications is 24th January 2020).
Please note that because of the high number of applications we typically receive, it is not possible to answer everyone in person, successful candidates will hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date.